Monday, June 3, 2013

Monday Morning!!

A beautiful morning is upon us and we are so thankful for one more day. It's funny how you can take for granted each hour that you are given.

We did not hear from the lab last night regarding Bianca's blood work so after a quick check with our day nurse today we should get them some time this morning. To be perfectly honest I am not totally sure how Bianca slept, but I was not a happy camper. Had a pretty rough time trying to fall asleep and for some reason the nurse came in at all the wrong times, but that is a small price to pay for the care we are getting.

So I don't have much more to report other than the research I was able to do last night. So sadly I have not found many cases like ours (with respect to twins and one already so low in the cervix) however I have learned a lot more about IC (incompetent cervix) and some of the most heartbreaking stories from all over. As much as I hate reading the negative out comes there are a few things I have learned from other's experiences. (this is all my rough math as I really have lost count on how many articles I have read) but in 80% of the failed cases there were 3 main factors that seem consistent:

  1. Doctors who sent patients home within or at 24 hours for home bed rest
  2. An epidural is ordered to help with the labor process (in most cases forced)
  3. Patients are told there are no other options and are pushed into inducing
Now I am not saying that is the case for all, but what I have seen is that if any of these two items are present that outcome is not good (obviously number 3 is the worst case)

In the positive outcomes the common factors are pretty simple:
  1. Strict hospital bed rest and monitoring (no getting up to use the restroom or bath - complete bed rest) for as long as it takes (in most cases 9 weeks or more if labor has not occured within 24 hours)
  2. Antibiotics are pushed immediately and fluids
  3. No pain or numbing agents are administered
  4. Doctors are open about what is going on and really take into account the babies heart rate (I know there is a quality of life issue here, but in almost every case I have read, baby still has a heart rate when born or induced. I have read very very few cases where baby is still born and the positive outcomes have waited with little more than a heart beat as the positive factor)
I am so thankful for our OB and his willingness to listen to us. He gave us the facts and gave us a realistic hope and probably the most sincere answer a doctor could give, "I don't know what could happen, so lets keep waiting and hoping". His honesty, although frustrating at the time, has given us now 6 days with both or our little ones. What a difference a positive outlook and faith can make!



1 comment:

The Kemps said...

Hoping and praying, it's all we can do!